Thursday, April 3, 2014

Go Jack Go! Jackson's 2nd Birthday Party

As I'm preparing for my son Jackson's third birthday I realized I never shared the pictures from his second. We call Jackson our little wild child. He has two speeds, stopped and RUNNING! I chose the theme of "Go Jack Go" because it just fit him so well. His birthday is in April so the weather is warm enough to have an outdoor party too. 

I created the invitations to look like a set of keys. I downloaded a key shape from the Silhouette store and used my machine to cut out two keys (because he was turning 2) out of metallic silver paper for each invitation. The information for the party was printed on the "key chain" and each was tied together with some striped ribbon. I created a cute little car and dog logo as well. 


I called my friend Alyson from Aly B's Bakery here in Shreveport and had her create a dog cake for the party. She also created some adorable race car cookies. The cake was precious and delicious but I must admit, once it came time to cut into it I felt bad! I just felt a little brutal and I kept having a flash to the Steel Magnolias scene when they cut up the amarillo cake. I also ordered race car cupcake toppers and placed them on top of cupcakes from Sam's Bakery. I made coordinating cupcake toppers and wrappers to go with the theme.



We served water, lemonade, hot dogs and chips (Jack's favorite food). I purchased precious little ice cream cups and filled them with vanilla ice cream. I punched out red, yellow and green dots out of vinyl and added them to the spoons to resemble a stop light. Jenny from Craft that Party created the most adorable garland that matched the color scheme perfectly, I used it wherever I could. She also created a precious Go Jack Go peg which Jackson carried around everywhere!




The activity for the party was a race. I spent months collecting child appropriate sized boxes that the kids could decorate themselves and make their own race cars. I saw this fabulous idea from Jordan from Oh Happy Day in an issue of Parenting Magazine. I created an art station with aprons, markers, glue, paper, stickers, paint, brushes, you name it, we had it! The kids had so much fun decorating and I think the adults did too. We set up a race course in the yard and held several heats. Everyone took their race card home and from what I heard from all the parents is they continued to play with them at home - what a bonus!





At the end of the party every child went home with their own new plush puppy friend, some candy and some dog shaped suckers. It was such a good time and we couldn't have asked for better weather. Jackson's third birthday party is this weekend and I'm hoping we have as good of weather too. His theme this year also involves wheels and dogs, boys never seem to change I guess. 


PARTY CREDITS
Invitations, party paper, theme and styling: Magnolia Creative Co.
Dog cake and race car cookies: Aly B's Bakery
Race car fondant toppers: Cakes and Kids
Cupcakes: Sam's Bakery
Ice cream cups and spoons and paper straws: Shop Sweet Lulu
Crepe paper garland and Go Jack Dog peg: Craft that Party
Party favors (plush dogs, favor boxes, dog bone candy, dog suckers): Oriental Trading
Jackson's birthday shirt: Collins Creations
Race car activity inspiration: Oh Happy Day














1 comment: